Thursday, July 2, 2015

Patriotic Flag of Chocolate Stars

Happy 4th to all of you! Are you seeing stars yet? It's almost that time!!!

4th-of-July-cake-flag-stars-candy-melts-deborah-stauch

Just sent this yummy treat to work with my hubby. And he just emailed me to say that it's gone even with half of the office out on vacation. Guess they were HUNGRY!!!

White almond cake with vanilla almond buttercream and completely covered in chocolate stars. Love the clean look of this and it was SO easy!

I simply melted blue, red and white Candy Melts in the microwave, each in a separate Ziploc quart freezer bag. I snipped off a corner and filled a star candy mold (eight 1 3/4" star cavities from CK Products), tapped in on the counter to level and remove bubbles and placed it in the freezer for a couple of minutes. Then I popped them out and repeated the above a few times. That was the most time consuming part but certainly not complicated or difficult. The stars can be made well in advance and just popped into the buttercream when you're ready.

The two cake layers can also be baked in advance and frozen which makes decorating so very much easier!

This was originally going to be a surprise inside cake but I decided to keep it simple. I think the beauty of this exterior would be lost with too many things going on. So now I just need to redesign the exterior of my surprise inside cake and I'll have two festive cakes!

Keep your holiday simple and enjoy every minute!

No comments: